History of East Cambridge
East Cambridge was originally an island. It was a landing point for British redcoats during the American Revolutionary War, especially when deploying to the Battles of Lexington and Concord.
In 1844, developers created bridges all around East Cambridge to extend it into other parts of the city and nearby Boston.
After the work was completed, E. Cambridge became known for its Middlesex County court house, soap, furniture, and porcelain industries, and many scenic areas.
East Cambridge Culture
East Cambridge is home to many Irish, Polish, Italian and Portuguese natives living in Massachusetts. It is predominantly upper middle-class and takes a lot of influence from nearby Boston.
In 2005 there was a baby boom in Kendall Square, and since then the average household income and real estate has increased, even in the midst of a national recession.
East Cambridge is a neighbor of the Charles River, the Monsignor O’Brien Highway, the Twin Cities plaza strip mall, and the CambridgeSide Galleria.
It is also home to Lechmere Square, the transportation center of Cambridge, Massachusetts and also identified with Kendall Square, where MIT is located.
East Cambridge is accessible via the Green and Red lines of the MBTA, off of Kendall on the Red Line and Lechmere on the Green Line. Lechmere is often known for being a “transportation hub” of Cambridge and Boston in general.
- Dorothea Lynde Dix, an American activist, volunteered in East Cambridge when she advocated for humane treatment of the insane in the early 1800s.
- East Cambridge is often noted for its schools, such as MIT, and its waterfront location.