St. John’s Street, Cambridge CB2 1TP
Tel: +44 1223 338600
Fax: +44 1223 337720
St. John’s College established in 1511 at Cambridge University. Lady Margaret Beaufort started the process to open the college on the site of the old Hospital of St. John in Cambridge, but died in 1509 before the college officially opened. With the blessing of King Henry VIII and financial support from the Lady’s estate, many of the old buildings received needed repairs. The developers were also able to save the Chapel.
Housing eleven courts, St. John’s College has the most in all of Oxford or Cambridge University. The New Court, built between 1826 and 1831, moves away from the medieval style found in the architecture of the first four courts.
Like Christ’s College, St. John’s College coat of arms bears elements of Lady Margaret Beaufort. The crest is adorned beyond just the coat by a rising eagle and two mythical yales on the sides. If you would like to wear the crest of John’s College in cuff links, simply click here.
Its Gothic fashion of romantic architecture builds up in Revival structures surrounding the court on three sides. The opening gate is embellished in a seven-bayed, cross-vaulted cloister. Viewers from the River Cam say the court design resembles a wedding cake.
Students interested in music can participate in a variety of genre groups at St. John’s. The music ranges from classical Handel to modern hip-hop. The college’s Junior Combination Room, or student union, offers the Clarkson Room for bands to practice at the necessary volume. Active societies include the Music Society and the Jazz at John’s.
St. John’s carries several traditions with their history, including the privilege of eating unmarked mute swans. Fellows of the college share the right with the British Monarchy, which owns all unmarked mute swans. The college used to have swan traps along the river, but no longer maintains them.
Notable alumni of St. John’s College include at least six prime ministers of different countries, nine Nobel Prize winners, two princes, three saints, and three archbishops. Prime Minister Manmohan Sing of India, inventor of the steam turbine Sir Charles Parsons, and Nobel Laureate and co-founder of Quantum Mechanics Paul Dirac, all were members of St. John’s.