About Trinity Hall
The Black Plague wiped out much of the population in England during the 14th Century. In the aftermath, Trinity Hall at Cambridge University founded in 1350 as an effort to rebuild the parish priesthood.
Trinity Hall is not to be mistaken for Trinity College, which was established in 1546. During the earlier centuries of Cambridge University’s history, the colleges all received the denotation of “Hall.” Most, like Pembroke College, have changed their name from “Hall” to “College,” but the existence of Trinity College prevents Trinity Hall from changing.
For the modern student at Trinity Hall, they can enjoy sports, politics, drama, and music activities in the college social life. Trinity even has their own student newspaper, “The Tidbit,” for aspiring journalists. The nightlife also boasts pub quiz nights and DJ hosted events.
Although Trinity Hall has established strength in the study of law, notable alumni also include physicist Stephen Hawking, Academy Award winning actress Rachel Weisz, and Soviet spy Donald Maclean.
Trinity Hall Grounds & Library
John de Clauden, Prior of Ely, previously used the land and house that Trinity Hall first acquired, for his monks to study during the 14th Century at Cambridge. The Front Court Chapel, Hall, and Master’s Lodge still remain from that century. College Master Sir Nathanael Lloyd added parts of the Front Court in the classical style during the 18th Century.
The college keeps archives from as early as the 16th Century for students perusing the library. Most of the content refers to the college’s administration and life, but provides insight into how the education system operated. The college’s clubs have material from the 19th Century, and the diaries of influential educationist Lionel Elvin are currently on loan to the college from Elvin’s family.
The History of Trinity Hall
The founder, Bishop of Norwich William Bateman, saw a need to educate and rebuild both the law and priest community in England and established the college to help. Trinity Hall’s tradition of excellence in law still continues.
Based on William Bateman’s own coat of arms, the crest for Trinity Hall adds to the basic shield by placing a helmet, lion, and book surrounded by a wreath on top. It originally holds a black and white themed crescent and shield.
Trinity Hall Contact & Location
Trinity Lane, Cambridge CB2 1TJ
Tel: +44 1223 332500
Fax: +44 1223 332537
[pw_map address=”Trinity Lane, Cambridge”]
Cambridge.com is not affiliated with the University of Cambridge.