About St. Edmund’s College
St. Edmund’s College at the University of Cambridge was founded in 1896 and received a Royal Charter in 1998. Established by Duke of Norfolk Henry Fitzalan Howard and Baron Anatole von Hügel, the college is one of few at Cambridge that accepts only graduate, doctorate, or mature undergraduate students (those aged over twenty-one).
St. Edmund’s’ name comes from the Archbishop of Canterbury St. Edmund of Abingdon. It opened as an institution for Roman Catholic students to study, and met opposition from the mainly protestant constituency at Cambridge University when it requested its students be allowed full membership into the university.
Notable members of St. Edmund’s College include Big Bang theorist Georges Lemaître and HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. Another member is Sir Martin Evans, the winner of the Nobel Prize in Physiology and Medicine for his work cultivating mice embryonic stem cells.
St. Edmund’s College’s coat of arms is written with the college motto, Avita Pro Fide, which means “faith for our Fathers”, further illustrating its Roman Catholic heritage.
History of St. Edmund’s College
The Catholic Emancipation in the 19th Century and the repealing of the Test Act in 1871 aided St. Edmund’s efforts to gain official and social acceptance at the university. Cambridge began allowing Jewish, non-conformist, and Roman Catholic students to study after the act.
Previously used as residential housing for students studying subjects throughout the Cambridge colleges, St. Edmund’s College started building its own student membership when Cambridge accepted it into the list of colleges serving only mature or postgraduate scholars. It now runs the Von Hügel Institute for scholars studying Catholic Social Teaching, and the Faraday Institute for students studying the relationship between religion and science.
St. Edmund’s College Chapel
The Chapel at St. Edmund’s is unique at Cambridge University because it worships in the Roman Catholic tradition. In 2003, the Chapel received a stained glass window from a donation made by Professor Stephen Frowen. It shows the ministry of St. Boniface of Credition, a German, and reflects on the Anglo-German relationship.
St. Edmund’s College Contact & Location
Mount Pleasant, Cambridge CB3 0BN
Tel: +44 1223 336250
Fax: +44 1223 336111
[pw_map address=”Mount Pleasant, Cambridge”]
Cambridge.com is not affiliated with the University of Cambridge.