Updated : May 4, 2011
CAMBRIDGE.COM takes the privacy of our site visitors (“Users”), vendors, information providers and advertisers (collectively vendors, information providers and advertisers will be referred to as “Advertisers”) very seriously. On this page, we address what information we may collect from Users and Advertisers how we use that information. If you have additional questions that are not answered here, please contact us using the contact details below.
1. Information We Collect
To better serve Users, Advertisers and others, CAMBRIDGE.COM may collect two basic types of information from Users:
- Personally identifiable information: This is information that personally identifies you, such as your name, email address, credit card details, etc. We only collect this information if you voluntarily and knowingly provide it to us, and generally we use it only for the purpose of fulfilling your requests, or so that we can contact you, as further detailed below. Except as expressly set out below, CAMBRIDGE.COM will not transfer, rent or sell any of this information to anyone.
- Aggregate user and tracking information: This information gives us insights on how our Users use our site and our Services. This data is anonymous in nature and does not contain any personally identifiable information. We use this information to ensure that our website and its contents continue to appeal to our Users and Advertisers.
2. How CAMBRIDGE.COM Collects Information
When Users visit the Site, we may automatically collect some information about your visit using cookies, web beacons, log analysis software and other tracking technologies, as further described below.
User Information Collected During Registration or Sign Up
We may collect information about you, including personally identifiable information, if you sign up for any enhanced services, if you register as a registered user of our Site (if applicable), if you upload any content to our site as a Submission (as defined in our Terms of Service) or if you take part in any promotion we may be offering that requires you to sign up. We only collect this information with your express knowledge and your provision of this information to us is entirely voluntary.
Cookies are files that contain small amounts of data. If your browser is configured to accept these files, they are stored on your computer’s hard drive. CAMBRIDGE.COM uses these data files when you visit our site to anonymously identify you. By using cookies, CAMBRIDGE.COM is able to:
- Completely support and enhance your visit to our site.
- Allow you to access your account information (if applicable), without requiring you to sign in.
- Better measure how many Users view and navigate our site.
- Better measure how our content and advertising is being used.
A CAMBRIDGE.COM third-party advertiser cookie file may also be placed on your hard drive during your visit to our website. The purpose of these types of cookies is to collect aggregate statistics about your visit to our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to User. These cookies do not contain personally identifiable information.
Log file and Other Tracking Analysis
Information we measure, analyze and collect in this manner may include: your IP address, screen resolution, operating system, platform information, your URL clickstream behavior (from referring URL website, through CAMBRIDGE.COM website, to another URL when leaving our website), date and time of your visit, purchase behavior, clickstream patterns, e-mail address, cookie information, session information, including browser information, page response times, length of visits to individual pages, download errors, etc.
Though some personally identifiable information may be collected in this process, the information collected is not used other than to track an individual’s progress through our website.
3. How CAMBRIDGE.COM Uses The Information We Collect
CAMBRIDGE.COM may use your information, including personally identifiable information collected with your knowledge, for business purposes including, without limitation, for the following:
- We may choose to share your information, including any personally identifiable information you share with us, with third party advertisers or users who have an interest in communicating with you. Specifically, we may, on occasion, sell or rent our advertiser listings to third parties. Of course, if you choose not to receive advertising or communications from such third parties, you may always “opt out” of those communications.
- BROOKLINE.COM uses a specialized vendor to manage its advertising listings. Advertisers who choose to use this service may choose various “enhanced services.” In the event you choose to sign up for enhanced services, you may be required to pay additional fees for such services, and provide credit card and other details that constitute personally identifiable information. In these circumstances, BROOKLINE.COM does not itself collect, retain or use your personally identifiable information. Our outside vendor for such services is the sole recipient of, and solely responsible for any information you provide to obtain these enhanced advertising services.
- We also may use your information, including personally identifiable information:
- To improve the quality of your CAMBRIDGE.COM visit.
- To bill your credit card if you select enhanced listing or other services from us that are to be billed.
- To credit your credit card in the event that we or our credit card processing agent issues you a refund.
- To create your CAMBRIDGE.COM membership account, registration or other listing (if applicable).
- To send surveys, promotions or announcements to you if you opt in to such communications.
- To update your user account (if applicable) with any information we receive from you.
- To respond to you regarding inquiries you submit to us and to otherwise communicate with you regarding your Submissions (as defined in the Terms of Service) or other communications between you and Cambridge.com.
- Additionally, CAMBRIDGE.COM may use your non-personally identifiable information it collects during your visits or in your communications with us for other purposes including without limitation, the following:
- To monitor what products or services are of interest to you and determine the sorts and subject matter of advertising that may be of interest to you. For example, if a User is interested in restaurant services, we may display an advertisement to you for other restaurants. We do not use personally identifiable information to deliver such targeted advertising.
- To better monitor in aggregate the effectiveness of our content and advertising.
- To better monitor in aggregate how visitors and customers are using our site.
- To ensure that our website and communications continue to provide relevant content that is interesting and useful to our Users.
- To determine Content that may be targeted to Users depending on the types of content they choose to view (targeted advertising).
- To uncover and diagnose problems with our servers.
- For day-to-day system administration needs.
- CAMBRIDGE.COM may use your information, including personally identifiable information, for special purposes. Below are a few examples of special purposes:
- In disclosures to law-enforcement agencies when required by law.
- In disclosures to law-enforcement agencies and/or credit card companies in cases of customer fraud or in other cases where an individual poses a threat, or appears to pose a threat to the interests of CAMBRIDGE.COM or its Users or Advertisers.
- To resolve customer or credit card company disputes.
- In the event of a sale, transfer or disposition of our assets. In some cases, we may choose to buy or sell assets. In these business transfers, customer information, including personally identifiable information, is typically one of the business assets that is transferred. Moreover, if CAMBRIDGE.COM, or substantially all of its assets were acquired, or in the unlikely event that CAMBRIDGE.COM goes out of business or enters bankruptcy, customer information, including personally identifiable information, would be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of CAMBRIDGE.COM may continue to use your personally identifiable information as set forth in this policy.
4. Communications to You from CAMBRIDGE.COM
We may occasionally want to send you communications about our Site, or Services, promotions, contests, surveys and the like, and/or regarding services available through or advertised at CAMBRIDGE.COM. All of our e-mail contains clear information on how to unsubscribe, and we honor all requests to unsubscribe as quickly as possible. Also, if applicable, Users who register with us, acquire enhanced services or listings, etc., may receive email communications from us regarding those services, listings or in responses to your other communications to us. Finally, Cambridge.com reserves the right to send newsletters or communications regarding its services to any User or Advertiser. If you receive e-mail from us and wish to unsubscribe, either follow the unsubscribe instructions in the e-mail, e-mail us, call us or send us a note via postal mail to inform us that User do not want to receive e-mail from our company. Our full contact details are listed at the end of this Policy.
CAMBRIDGE.COM may also send User postal mail notifications containing surveys, promoting special deals, and/or informing User of special contests, sweepstakes on our site or on behalf of one of our business partners.
5. How CAMBRIDGE.COM Protects Your Information
CAMBRIDGE.COM understands that the safety of your personal information is extremely important to User. That’s why CAMBRIDGE.COM uses both electronic and other measures to keep your information protected from unauthorized access.
Personal data that Users send or submit to us over the Internet is protected by Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology. We also use industry-standard firewalls to protect any personal data that we may receive.
6. About This Policy
7. Accessing and updating your information
Attn: Customer Privacy,
PO Box 1301
Brookline, MA 02445